- October 2014: Paper published in Chemical Science Ultrafast Infrared Spectroscopy Reveals Water-mediated Coherent Dynamics in an Enzyme Active Site Adamczyk, K.; Simpson, N.; Greetham, G.M.; Gumiero, A.; Walsh, M.A.; Towrie, M.; Parker, A.W.; Hunt, N.T. Chemical Science, DOI: 10.1039/C4SC02752C(2014)
- August 2104: New group member: we welcome Dr Paul Lane to the group
- Summer 2014: Paper published in Organometallics: Investigation of the Ultrafast Dynamics Occurring during Unsensitized Photocatalytic H2 Evolution by an [FeFe]-Hydrogenase Subsite Analogue Frederix, P.W.J.M; Wright,J.A.; Tuttle, T.; Ulijn, R.V.; Pickett, C.J.; Hunt, N.T. Organometallicsdoi.org/10.1021/om500521w (2014)
- Summer 2014: Review article published in Dalton Trans: Transient 2D-IR Spectroscopy of Inorganic Excited States. Hunt, N. T. Dalton Trans DOI: 10.1039/c4dt01410c.2014, (2014)
- January 2014: Grant Success The NTH group has been awarded STFC Global Challenges funding to study the Dynamics of DNA-binding in collaboration with the groups of Glenn Burley and Colin Suckling at Strathclyde and Tony Parker and Mike Towrie at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
- December 2013: Grant success The NTH group is Co-I for the recently-funded BBSRC funded LIFEtime laser project based at the Research Complex at Harwell
- November 2013: Paper published in J Phys Chem B: Infrared Spectroscopy of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotides in One and Two Dimensions. Shaw,D.J.; Frederix, P.W.J.M.; Gillies, A.H.; Adamczyk, K.; Greetham, G.M.; Towrie, M.; Parker, A.W.; Hoskisson, P.A.; Hunt, N.T. J Phys Chem B, 117, 16468−16478 (2013)
- October 2013: New group members: We welcome Lennart Ramakers and Gordon Hithell to the group as PhD students
- Summer 2013: Paper published in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry: A Structural and Dynamic Investigation of the Inhibition of Catalase by Nitric Oxide Candelaresi, M.; Gumiero, A.; Adamczyk, K.; Robb, K.; Bellota-Antón, C.; Sangal, V.; Munnoch, J.T.; Greetham, G.M.; Towrie, M.; Hoskisson, P.A.; Parker,A.W.; Tucker, N.P.; Walsh, M.A.; Hunt, N.T. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 11, 7778-7788 (2013)
- February 2013: Grant Success Neil Hunt has been awarded a European Research Council (ERC) Proof of Concept grant (~149k Eu) for the project ‘SPRITES Optimisation of Bio-inspired Gel Scaffolds for Hydrogen Production’. The grant, in collaboration with Prof Chris Pickett (UEA Norwich) and Prof Rein Ulijn (Strathclyde)builds on work carried out on gel-encapsulated hydrogenase enzyme systems performed during Neil’s ERC Starting Investigator Grant with a view to commercialisation. Details of the ERC PoC results can be found at http://erc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/press_release/files/erc_pr_poc_2012_second_results.pdf
- July 2012: Paper on hydrogenase model encapsulation selected as a Dalton Transactions HOT article by referees. The paper ‘Encapsulating [FeFe]-hydrogenase model compounds in peptide hydrogels dramatically modifies stability and photochemistry’ by Pim Frederix et al and featuring a collaboration between our group and the groups of Rein Ulijn (Chemistry, Strathclyde) and Chris Pickett (UEA, Norwich) has been selected as a Dalton Transactions Hot Article! It is currently featured on the Dalton Transactions Blog at http://blogs.rsc.org/dt/2012/05/24/hydrogenase-hydrogel/ and will be free to access for the next 4 weeks.
- April 2012: PCCP Themed Issue released. This themed issue was guest edited by Neil Hunt and Klaas Wynne (University of Glasgow) and features a broad range of articles on Ultrafast Chemical Dynamics
- March 2012: UCP 2012 featured in Nature Chemistry News and Views
- March 2012: Grant success for the UCP grouping. The UCP grouping will get a £0.7M EPSRC grant to study the structure and dynamics of water confined in nanoscale pools. The work will be carried out in the ultrafast labs of Neil Hunt (University of Strathclyde) and Klaas Wynne (Glasgow University) and involves collaborations with Professor Fabio Bruni (Roma Tre University), Professor Francesco Mallamace (University of Messina), Professor H Eugene Stanley (Boston University), and Professor Casey Hynes (École Normale Supérieure and University of Colorado).
- February 2012: Article published in J Phys Chem: ‘Solution-phase Photochemistry of a [FeFe]hydrogenase Model Compound: Evidence of Photoinduced Isomerisation’ by Kania, R.; Frederix, P. W. J. M.; Wright, J. A.; Ulijn, R. V.; Pickett, C. J. and Hunt, N. T. J Chem Phys (2012), 136, 044521.
- December 2011: UCP Conference held in Glasgow. The 2nd Ultrafast Chemical Physics workshop was held in the Court Senate Suite at the University of Strathclyde. 98 delegates from three continents (USA, Europe and Asia) attended a successful and enjoyable meeting.
- November 2011: Danny Shaw and Niall Simpson join the group. Danny will work on protein ligand binding studies in a joint project with the group of Paul Hoskisson (SIPBS) while Niall will use 2D-IR to understand enzyme reaction dynamics.
- November 2011: Andrea Gumiero joins the group as a KTA secondment to Diaomond Light Source. Andrea will work on integrating 2D-IR with MX structural biology techniques.
- August 2011: PDRA position available – please see vacancies page for more details.
- July 2011: Grant awarded – Paul Hoskisson (SIPBS) and Neil Hunt have been awarded a grant worth £170k by the Leverhulme Trust for a joint project applying 2D-IR spectroscopy to study the structure and dynamics of protein-ligand binding in anti-Tuberculosis drugs.
- April 2011: Article accepted for publication in PCCP: ‘The Role of CN and CO Ligands in the Vibrational Relaxation Dynamics of Model Compounds of the [FeFe]-Hydrogenase Enzyme’ by S. Kaziannis, J. A. Wright, M. Candalaresi, R. Kania, G. M. Greetham, A. W. Parker, C. J. Pickett and N. T. Hunt
- March 2011: New website launched
- Feb 2011: Dr Marco Candelaresi joins the group
- Feb 2011: Dr Spyros Kaziannis leaves the group – many thanks for all your hard work and best of luck.
Nov 2010: Multidisciplinary collaboration results in an article accepted for publication in the Biochemical Journal: Relationship between protein structural fluctuations and rebinding dynamics in ferric haem nitrosyls.’ N.T. hunt, G.M. Greetham, M. Towrie, A.W. Parker and N.P. Tucker. Pre-publication copy available at http://www.biochemj.org/bj/imps/abs/BJ20101496.htm
Nov 2010: Dr Katrin Adamczyk joins the group as a PDRA
Oct 2010 – Article accepted for publication in J Phys Chem B ‘Femtosecond to microsecond photochemistry of a [FeFe]hydrogenase enzyme model compound’ Kaziannis, S.; Santabarbara, S.; Wright, J. A.; Greetham, G. M.; Towrie, M.; Parker, A. W.; Pickett, C. J. and Hunt, N. T. J Phys Chem B 2010, in press DOI: 10.1021/jp107618n.
Sept 2010 – Article accepted for publication in Inorganic Chemistry ‘Determination of the Photolysis Products of [FeFe]Hydrogenase Enzyme Model Systems using Ultrafast Multidimensional Infrared Spectroscopy ‘Stewart, A. I.; Wright, J. A.; Greetham, G. M.; Kaziannis, S.; Santabarbara, S.; Towrie, M.; Parker, A. W.; Pickett, C. J. and Hunt, N. T Inorg Chem 2010, 49 9563
Sept 2010 – A cross-disciplinary project between chemistry, physics and engineering at Strathclyde (part funded by Bridging the Gap) has led to a publication in Nature Chemistry ‘Biocatalytic induction of supramolecular order.’ A. R. Hirst, S. Roy, M. Arora, A. K. Das, N. Hodson, P. Murray, S. Marshall, N. Javid, J. Sefcik, J. Boekhoven, J. H. van Esch, S. Santabarbara, N. T. Hunt and R. V. Ulijn Nature Chemistry DOI: 10.1038/NCHEM.861